Thursday 16 April 2015

Simpsons by the Season: 7

"A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man."
 



It's not that I regret writing one blog post for every single season - I don't. But it's much easier to write complaints than it is to sing praise. [Note: I'm rereading these blogs for editing purposes after having written for season 20, and I could not be more wrong about that statement.] Honestly, there's only so much to say about season seven - it's consistently funny, there are few weak episodes if any at all, and as the previous four have been, it's top notch television. There are a few notes, however.

Lisa is always sad. In fact, I think it was in "Moaning Lisa" (correct me if I'm wrong, non-existent readers) where she literally says "I'm sad." She was disenchanted with her father in "Lisa's Substitute", she was rebellious but alone in her mission in "Lisa the Vegetarian", she's turned on by those that should appreciate her in "Lisa the Iconoclast" and heck, look at the title of the first one I mentioned. It's called "Moaning Lisa". The last two are season seven episodes, and the season finale is "Summer of 4'2" in which Lisa is so tired of being friendless she tries to change her personality entirely. These are just the ones off the top of my head. The problem here is The Simpsons doesn't write for sad characters particularly well - at least not consistently sad characters. Yes, Moe is great, but he's a side character rather than a main player. Few and far between works well there. Lisa herself, however, has few great one-liners in what has to be the most quotable comedy you're going to find. I challenge you to think of three top-tier Lisa-centric episodes. I bet you'll come up short.
 

Second, the show has hit a point now where it has been running long enough that it can be self-referential. There's a scene in "The Day the Violence Died" that actually goes through a number of the various schemes and plots of Bart and Lisa - foiling Sideshow Bob, reuniting Krusty with his father, helping Dr. Nick give Homer a triple-bypass, etc.. The show's old enough that it can make lists of previous episodes all with a central theme, and it's still shy of a third of the way through the series. 

Lastly, some of the strongest emotional episodes - if not the two strongest - come through in this season. One, when Bart steals Bonestorm and in the end shows he's a good kid in "Marge Be Not Proud". The second in "Mother Simpson" when Homer is reunited with his mother only to lose her again. It's arguably the most touching moment in all Simpsons history, one of the few real tearjerkers in the series. "Mother Simpson" ends with a beautiful piece of music as Homer sits on the edge of his car, looking up at the night sky. While I can't find the final clip, you can listen to the music here


So in one season they have their touching moments that I just described. They tackle immigration policies in "Much Apu About Nothing." They have a plethora of big name stars that cameo on the show - Paul McCartney, Peter Frampton, and my personal favourite, Billy Corgan of the Smashing Pumpkins all in one season alone. This is all amidst episodes that are incredibly funny time and time again, and this is at the point where many shows would have run out of ideas entirely. There's a reason the show carries the praise it does.

Quotes:
"I am familiar with the works of Pablo Neruda."
-I don't feel I have to explain this quote any better other than explaining Bart said it.

"If I could only say a few words... I'd be a better public speaker!"
-The beginning of Homer's speech in trying to get Springfielders to vote against deportation of their illegal immigrants.

"Billy Corgan, Smashing Pumpkins."
"Homer Simpson, smiling politely."

"And since I've achieved all my goals as president in one term, there was no need for a second."
-George H. W. Bush's memoirs.

Best Episode:

Considering just how good this season is, there are few real standouts. I'll give it to "King-Sized Homer", where Homer gains a huge amount of weight in order to go on disability and work from home. I'll also give a nod to "Homerpalooza" and "Radioactive Man".

No comments:

Post a Comment